Thursday, May 24, 2012

Things that make me LOL

My kids are always doing and saying things to make me laugh.  And all kids (or most kids, I should say) do the same thing, so I know it's nothing out of the ordinary.  But don't you hate that moment when you start to tell your spouse/mom/sister/friend etc. about the hilarious thing one of your kids said or did and totally go blank on what it was?  Yeah, I do that all the time.

 At one time, I started doing this index card memory box thing:  when one of the kids did something I wanted to remember or we did something special that day or I just wanted to record a particular memory, I would date an index card, write down whatever I wanted to record, then file it away in the box.  I was really great about doing that almost every evening before bed until Kyden came along.  I kept the box next to the bed, but because we had a newborn sleeping in our room (and still do, though he's not a newborn, because he still wakes up every 2 to 3 hours to nurse, which I fear will be habit until he goes off to college), my index card memory writing became very sparse, and now, I can't tell you when was the last time I recorded anything.  I hate that, but thank goodness for Facebook's timeline and blogging, where I can easily look back to see all the things I have posted about the silliness of these Anderson kids, who are growing up much too fast and will eventually find all these silly sayings and musings embarrassing and eye-roll-worthy, at least until they reach adulthood and hopefully appreciate this tired mommy's efforts to preserve as many little moments and memories as I possibly could.

That said, I wanted to share some of the silly things that I've seen and heard around here lately.  Yesterday, Cohen was eating lunch, and at one point he got up and went into his room (which was a big mess at the time).  When he didn't return after a minute, I asked him what he was doing, to which he replied with a sigh, "Just looking at my disaster." 

Kyden, though only just shy of a year, has his own silly personality and is surely following in the footsteps of his siblings.  One day, I had put his shoes on him before heading out for the afternoon, and as I was gathering things together to leave, he pulled his shoes off and stuck them in the shoe bin by the front door (it's a big basket full of everyone's various pairs of shoes).  Not only silly, but smart, that boy is!  He also pulls out Mommy and Daddy's shoes and tries to wear them.

And finally, I have to share Emberlynn's "book" with you.  She made this completely on her own yesterday with no help or prompting from me except when she needed help stapling all the pages together.  So here is how her story goes (each sentence is on its own page complete with an illustration):

Title:  Emberlynn and Kyden
"Kyden was a baby."
"Emberlynn was big."
"Go out and play now."
"One day Emberlynn made a mess."  (She drew a picture of herself standing in a her messy room.)
"Lots of silly words she said."  (Sounds like something Yoda would say.)
"Kyden loved Emberlynn."
"They have fun playing."
"Emberlynn was so nice to him."
"Emberlynn and Kyden go play."
"Emberlynn did clean her room now."
"Mommy gave him a snack."  (She drew a really cute picture of Kyden in his high chair.)
"Then Mommy makes tea."  (My favorite part.)
"And they live happily ever after."  ("Happily" is spelled "habaly".)

This little book is definitely going in her baby book with her other keepsakes.  And she reminds me of myself because I started writing stories and small books when I was about her age.  Maybe she will have a love for writing like Mommy...

No comments:

Post a Comment